Sunday, February 24, 2013

Game #17 - Anaheim 4, Colorado 3 (OT)

I have watched a lot of hockey games in my life, I am 21 years old and have been watching hockey for as long as I can remember (over 15 years for sure), and I don't think I've ever witnessed reffing that bad. That was BY FAR the worst reffed game I have ever witnessed, I am completely sick to my stomach and just can't express how angry I am. There are many reasons to blame refs, usually its just an angry fan complaining about a bad penalty call or something, but this game was beyond ridiculous. The refs screwed the Avs tonight, 3 of the Ducks 4 goals were off of calls/non calls that the refs made. The Avs were in control of the game after 1 period, getting goals from McLeod and Parenteau in a dominant 1st period. Things completely changed in the 2nd, as the Ducks cut the lead to 2-1 after a horrendous non-call. Corey Perry slashed Greg Zanon's stick out of his hand, a clear penalty, and proceeded to tip in the puck seconds later as Zanon couldn't defend without a stick. This was a huge momentum change for the Ducks, as Selanne scored minutes later on the PP to tie it at 2-2. The Avs would take the lead a minute later, with John Mitchell fooling Hiller with a long wrist shot. The Perry play was bad, but it wasn't even the worst play in the period: Luca Sbisa rammed Cody McLeod from behind, a clear boarding/hit from behind/whatever you want to call it, and the ref stood there like a moron and didn't call anything. The Avs lead going into the 3rd, but played so bad and only mustered 1 shot in the period (in the 1st minute). The Avs have a history of clinging to a lead and stop play offence, a coaching strategy by Sacco that is just so bad. The Ducks would tie it on the PP, after a terrible call on Landeskog Getzlaf would score seconds into the PP. The game would go to overtime, with a few good chances back-and-forth but nothing happening. Then, just like the rest of this terrible game, the refs made another terrible penalty call sending off O'Byrne for "hooking." Not only was it not a penalty, but it was in the final minute of OT, just a brutal call in every respect. The Ducks would put the game away in OT, as Perry tipped another Getzlaf goal past his former goalie J.S Giguere. Giguere was solid in net, as the Ducks outshot the Avs 39-23, and you can't blame him for the terrible reffing. After this game the Fire Sacco campaign has certainly taken another level, I hate his coaching strategy especially when the Avs are leading. The Sabres just fired Lindy Ruff, I pray that Avs fire Sacco and hire Ruff before someone else hires him. I can't express how angry I am at the refs, there is a difference between making one bad call and what they did tonight, and simply put I think it was the worst reffed game I have ever seen. If I had the choice, I would fire each of the refs and never let them in an NHL game again, because you can't make that many bad calls all against one team. I understand I may sound a little angry and ridiculous, and I usually don't complain about refs, but that was brutal and cost the Avs a point. Referees Kevin Pollock and Rob Martell, Linesmen Steve Miller and Vaughan Rody, you all should be ashamed of yourself that was the single worst reffed game I have ever seen. Period.

Three Stars:
3. Francois Beauchemin - 4 assists for the NHL leader in +/-
2. Ryan Getzlaf - 1 goal and 2 assists for Captain Getzlaf, despite how angry I am about the refs I can't help but admire Getzlaf and Perry, 2 of my favourite non-Avs
1. Corey Perry - 2 goals and an assist for the former MVP, including the game-winning goal

Misplay of the Game - I usually call this "Avalanche Misplay of the Game", however it was all the refs tonight. The worst reffed game I have ever witnessed, just so brutal on several different plays. Referees Kevin Pollock and Rob Martell, Linesmen Steve Miller and Vaughan Rody, you all should be ashamed of yourself

Avalanche Play of the Game - No single play was that good today, the Avs were pretty brutal outside of the first period. Newcomers PA Parenteau and John Mitchell both with goals, gets it tonight

Game #18 - The Avs finish up this terrible road trip with a game vs. the San Jose Sharks, where they will be looking for some revenge on Brad Stuart after he hurt Landeskog. The game is on Tuesday night (@1030pm)

-Joel Forman - Colorado Avalanche News

No comments:

Post a Comment